Saturday, January 16, 2010

An encounter

It was a sunny Friday in Geelong and I was sitting on a bench eating my tomato whole, when an older gentleman walked past and said, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away!.” He seemed like a very sweet old man, so I replied, “oh it’s a tomato.” He swooped in to tell me his tales about his youth. I obliged because I thought perhaps he was lonely and just wanted to chat. He asked me where I was going today and I replied “Footscray to meet a friend for dinner.” He took a huge inhale and responded “Footscray? Footscray? It’s like trying to play ‘spot the Aussie’ there. (Footscray is very multicultural). Long pause...

He went on to tell me that he used to be an amazing water polo player and even won some kind of championship in some year some time ago. I kind of zoned out and stopped listening after a while until I heard him say “yeah they didn’t like it when I choked the refferee..” I looked up and saw him making choking motions with his hands. He continued “yeah I got suspended for 12 months so I could think about how you shouldn’t choke people, but I just wanted to see if his whistle was working.” I said, “ahhhh I have to go, take care!” and scampered off.

No comments:

Post a Comment