Monday, January 4, 2010

Bangkok Christmas

First night in Bangkok


The mosquito got my eye!

My brother and I got to the hotel that we would be checking into at 9am the same morning we arrived at 3am. My brother and I met at the Bangkok airport, exchanged stories for the fourty minute cab ride into the city and immediately ate Phad Thai outside the wrong guesthouse. We hopped into another tuk tuk with full tummys and arrived at the guesthouse our family would be staying at for the next few nights.We asked if they could squeeze the two of us in a night earlier than arranged. The sweet old Thai man informed us that they were fully booked. The guesthouse was in a bit of a secluded area on a river and we didn’t have the energy to travel around looking for a place to sleep at 3am.
The lovely man at the front desk told us we could sleep on the roof if we wished. I was ecstatic to see the roof was beautifully decorated with furniture that could be slept on. We had quite a good sleep but got eaten alive by mosquitoes. My brothers forehead was all red and my eye was very swollen. I joked with the staff in the morning that my brother had punched me in the eye.
We stumbled downstairs at 7am to a buffet and ate just about everything there was! (over the course of two hours waiting to check in to our booked room)

How does my eye look?
Like someone punched you in the face!


From the roof: Bangkok around 6am


Do you think the buffet is open yet?
I don't know I don't have a watch
Me niether, but my tummy tells me it's time!


Christmas Morning




Christmas morning was spent taking advantage of the complimentary buffet, which included toast, banana pancakes, fresh orange juice, fruit and lovely marmalade jam. We opened presents up on the rooftop from Devin. He was the only family member who didn't believe that we were not buying presents for each other this year. He thought it was one of those things that we were just saying but then everyone would show up with presents and he would look bad. So my brother really showed us all up with his lovely and very thoughtful presents from cute Korea.





The ladies of the family went to get our eye lashes permed and dyed black. We had to keep our eyes closed and bandaged for almost an hour! My sister was super sick with tummy problems after a plane ride of throwing up all the way from Canada to Thailand. Half way through the experience of being blind, my sister whispered to me, "I really have to go to the toilet, I can't hold it and I'm going to cry!" So she had to let one of the friendly Thai ladies know it was an emergency that she get to a toilet. The lady had to guide my sister over to the bathroom and help her sit down, all while my sister has her eyes bandaged up and was finding a whole new sympathy for the blind! That lady got a big tip

"Excuse me! Toilet, now, please."

Later in the afternoon, my mom and I took a walk around the area our hotel was located. Just under the bridge, along the river was a peaceful and very friendly neighbourhood of people. We ducked under the bridge, dogged all the chickens and roosters and made our way into the little residential street full of cheerful locals. We had many conversations with Thai women about how sexy my mom is and how I'm lucky to have such a sexy mom. Oh lucky me! Thank goodness I have a strong sense of self esteem.

We walked past a bridge with young boys jumping off and into the dirty river beneath. They looked like they were having the most fun in the world, it was almost tempting to jump in with them. It’s these small walking tours in the city that are my favourite.


No comments:

Post a Comment