Thursday, December 10, 2009

Fruit Shack!

I was knitting some slippers the other day, while sitting on the couch and listening to the Australian news. The topic was food. It said that Australia has the most expensive grocery stores in the world. I could believe it since I had just made a trip to the local big chain food store which had a single mango priced at $4. Who can afford that? And apparently there is no good reason for the astronomical prices except for the fact that the stores keep raising the prices because people will pay them.They suggested boycotting the big chains in favour of growing your own gardens.

Well I can’t quite grow my own garden! So I did what I thought was second best, I went in search of some sort of alternative boutique food shop. Low and behold I found my little treasure!

It is a fruit and veggie place that takes cash only and the prices are almost unreasonably cheap! It's called FRUIT SHACK and i love it! It takes me an hour round trip to walk up the hill to get there and back but it's well worth it. I've recently gotten into the habbit of going everyday after a grueling 9-4pm of lectures just to buy some watermelon and go home and eat all of it^.^




The other day I couldn't wait to get home to eat my Watermelong so I pulled out a spoon that was living in my bag from the beach the day before and began to eat. YUM. (yes I got alot of strange looks from jealous people passing by)



I find myself complimenting the staff and always saying such things as “oh my that’s a bargain!” You’d think now  I would be over it, but it ceases to amaze me!

The best part is, after I discovered the Fruit Shack, I found another for cheap store that also has cheap alcohol. Wine and beer and anything alcoholic for that matter is so expensive in Australia that any person with a drinking problem should move here, it’s unaffordable! However, at this shop I found wine for $4! But on this particular day those bottles had been wiped off the shelves. I was excited to see a $6 bottle with my mom’s name on it. I bought it and drank it out of the excitement of seeing her name on a product she loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment