Thursday, November 25, 2010

Brooklyn Flea Market

Possibly the most beautiful and exciting flea market I've been to yet.
It's held every Sunday in the Williamsburg Savings Bank, ironically not located in Williamsburg.

The building is fantastic! Stain glass windows, colourful ceilings and vaults as doorways. They also had lovely toilets, which was a bonus.

Besides vintage clothes and local jewelery designers, there's antique furniture, unique bedding and home accessories. The prices were shockingly reasonable.

Through the bank vaults and down the stairs is the adorable food court with trendy local sellers. I decided I'm not rich enough for $15 lobster rolls and so went for the Mahi Mahi grilled fish taco for $5.  It was worth every penny, hummming and ahhhhming at every bite!
I was browsing through a rack of clothes, seriously considering an 80's sweater with all kinds of embellishments on it, when I was startled by a swede.  Turned out to be three Swedish men, impeccably dressed of course-that's how you know there from Sweden!
They had a camera pointed at me and were asking me if I wouldn't mind a quick interview for H&M tv. I said 'i'm shy' and then with a few kind words of encouragement, just went along, why not.
They were the kind of questions that had to be answered carefully not to sound like a complete pretentious tit. I'm pretty sure I didn't pull off avoiding that and am slightly nervous to see the video. 
Some of the questions were things like: "What inspires your fashion?" and "What advice would you give to those looking to wear vintage clothing?" 
How can you not sound ridiculous answering those questions!? ha
All answers went back to my mom's closet from the past of course, which I was wearing head to toe.
They then followed me around for a while. I said I was kind of shy about that part and so the swedish film guy promised me I wouldn't notice him.
The problem was, I didn't notice him and continued my shopping. I was fluffing my puffy skirt, pulling ugly shopping faces and searching for Peter in all of the vintage picture sections.
My new $3 dress that I sifted out of a box at the market

Peter had fantastic luck picking through some boxes of vintage pictures. He found some amazing treasures of someones trip to Panama. We assume the pictures were shot in Panama because it's written on a sign in the exotic background. Have no idea what date they would be but everyone looks very happy and it seems to have been a cruise.
He did a little bargaining and got them all for $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment