Friday, November 20, 2009

Melbourne/Melbon

Christian rock music never hurt anyone


My first Saturday in Geelong I decided it was time to leave the small town that they call a city and hop on a train into a real city. I ran into some of the other girls that live in the Reformed Theological College and one of them, (Joni from China) told me she was also heading into Melbourne in search of a present for her friend. Some of the other girls wanted to go into town for a coffee and said they would drop us at the train station. The car ride was convenient and kind, I didn’t even really care that there was Christian rock playing in the car and all the passengers were singing along to the Christian lyrics except for myself.

Train ride into Melbourne

Joni and I got on the train and sat down for the hour long trip into the big city. Everyone on the train were dressed up in their finest for the Melbourne Cup (horse racing). I had seen the outfits being shown on morning television in Australia. The men were all wearing nice suits and the women were all wearing extremely flamboyant hats and feathers on their heads. All of the shops in Melbourne were full of women buying these massive and beautiful head decorations. I was so tempted to buy a massive hat just from seeing so many women looking so glamorous wearing them.




Joni and I got off at Southern Cross station and made our way onto a tram to take us over to Queen Victoria Market. It is a huge market with seafood and fruits spanning two blocks of the first floor. There are lots of Australian souvenirs being sold and some apparel, as well as tons of boomerangs.



And my favourite part were the Borat Swimsuits.
I wonder who actually buys them?


No comments:

Post a Comment