Monday, November 23, 2009

Don’t cry over split spring rolls

I worked another wedding function last night. This time, there were no meals, just finger food, a live band and an open bar. The 260 guests had all arrived and were working their way slowly into their first drink of many that night. After I had made sure all of the guests had a drink in their hands, my next task was to take a gigantic plate of spring rolls out on one hand, while holding serviettes in the other. This is quite the juggling act, especially because the plate is always insanely heavy and imbalanced as people pick off the plate and grab for serviettes.

One man asked me for another beer and as I turned to answer him the whole serving platter when up in the air and came down all over the place almost in slow motion. I’ve never been able to say I’ve had a room of 260 people all stare at me at once…now I can. You could have heard Tibetan Buddhist monks thinking it went so quite! I wanted to teleport myself out of that room, however, I have not yet mastered that technique.

My lovely posh British co-worker came to my rescue with a huge smile on his face and comforting words, then another bartender came over and told me not to worry, he had once spilt a whole tray of drinks on a man. My boss told me it was all my fault and I was super close to being fired I’m sure, but the party was way too wild and they needed to keep me on, clumsy or not. I was obviously embarrassed beyond belief and the common comments of the evening were “ohhhh wow be careful here she comes!!! don‘t drop it now!!!…just kidding love it’s alright!it‘s alright, only teasing.” I love the Aussies and their sweetness (my boss isn‘t an Aussie). One man told me he wanted to give me a big hug. So I guess I ended up with a lot of sympathy, oh human nature is rather lovely at being kind to people who make a complete tit out of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment