Thursday, November 26, 2009

I mean i KNOW you'll like me!

Job interview


I decided I didn’t like the idea of working in the mall, even though the bus time schedule corresponded nicely with those hours. Everyone was only looking for Christmas staff and I wanted something I could have until June when I leave. I took a walk down to the waterfront in the city and put my resume in at three different restaurants/bars.

There was one in particular that I thought looked really lovely. It looks like a very large home that over looks the harbour. I went in and was introduced to one of the owners who I think is from Turkey. She was a tiny woman covered in flour. She had such energy and strength it was almost intimidating. She didn’t look at my resume and told me to come in on Friday for a ‘trial’ two hour shift with no pay. She said that after the two hours, if I like the job and she likes me then I can stay and begin to be paid. I said to her

 “ oh I think I’ll like it here and I think you’ll like me”





She responded, “You think? No no no, you have to know! You have to be confident!”
(in a strongTurkish accent)

“okay, I know you’ll like me!”

“yes beautiful, that’s more like it!”

I really enjoy her because she starts every sentence directed at me with “okay gorgeous…okay beautiful” It’s rather lovely.

I went for the trial shift and got the job. It feels nice to know I will have money coming in.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for a job! Do you get free food too? I hope so! xox

    ReplyDelete