Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Kenka


KENKA

25 Saint Mark's Place is home to "Kenka" (meaning fight in Japanese). It is one of my favourite restaurants I've been to in the little tokyo district and by far the busiest one. Get there fairly early or incredibly to avoid a lengthy wait.
Stepping into this izakaya makes me forget NYC and become lost in translation as all of the servers run around yelling orders out in Japanese. The best part is, they do speak English.
Every time I've been there, communist-sounding music has been bellowing from the overhead speakers. My personal favourite touches to the restaurant are the vintage posters of japanese women in the almost nude.

MENU
As you are seated at your table with miniature chairs, you begin to look for the $1.50 draft beers and the extensive menu with fantastic pictures. I always order the edemame beans and the okonomiyaki
 (a delicious seafood pancake with bbq and mayonnaise sauce, accompanied by fish flakes on top)
Chopsticks

It's a guilt free eat (definitely guilt free beer prices) and at the end, when your check arrives, you get little cups of sugar to make your own pink cotton candy in the front of the shop.

Last night I craved Pinkberry over cotton candy. I didn't want to take the fun out of making it though,  so we made it and handed it to some lovely intoxicated people who happily ate it up.

Pinkberry is a whole other thing. Frozen yogurt with your choice of toppings. The fresh berries are the best! I was so happy to start a stamp card there last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment