Friday, March 26, 2010

Mapping and Measuring

My mission for three days was to introduce orientation (NESW, 90 degrees right, 45 degrees left) bird’s eye view and mapping to the children. I wanted every activity to be fun and creative and managed to pull it off quite successfully (meaning the kids were smiling, learning and understanding!)



I’ve really gotten the hang of using all the visual cue cards for almost all of my instructions (this really helps the Autistic children in the class) and helps reinforce what the expectations are.


I have also learned a lot of the hand signals that I use while I’m talking to those children. It’s incredible how effective they are at communicating with them^^ I want to learn more!




The third lesson was conducted outside. Their missing was to create an obstacle course for their friend by drawing a birds eye view map of the playground and writing out instructions that their partner would follow (walk North, turn 90 degrees to your left). It was an effective method of assessing the students knowledge of what had been learned within those lessons.


The best part was, when the kids found out that was the last maths lesson I would be teaching them, they all made a disappointed “ooohhhhhhhh” I couldn’t help but be so pleased with myself! Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment